Saturday, March 7, 2009

Sad News

Couldn't sleep, so I thought that I would go ahead and post the details of today's happenings that most of you may already be aware of. Today I had my first appointment with the new OBGYN- it was a very unfortunate event. After my check up with her, I had requested that she order a sonogram since Jason was able to be at the appointment with me, and we discovered that there was no longer any cardiac activity in the baby. They had determined that the growth had stopped at 9 weeks (I was 11 weeks and one day today). After the devistating news, my procedure was scheduled and they extracted the fetus this afternoon. The procedure was not easy for either of us, physically and of course mentally.
Not the news that we wanted to hear at our first real appointment. The "good news" is that there is not a reason they could pinpoint as to why the pregnancy terminated, which is bittersweet. We understand that this truely is a common happening, and the doctor said that it does not yet raise any concerns for us and our future family planning. We still have the intentions of trying again once cleared by the doctor to do so, however, I imagine that the emotional side of this will not be easy when that time comes. I would appreciate any advice that anyone may have from personal experience- feel free to email it to me. Although this is not the news we wanted to hear, we do thank the Lord for providing us with such loving and supportive family and friends to help us through what has been the best and worst experience of our lives thusfar.


My other update is that Coach is doing so much better now. The vet finally determined that something in his puppy food (we fed him Nutro which is supposed to be very easy on their stomachs) was causing the allergic reaction. She said it might be the chicken or some beet root extract that is used? They switched him to another Rx dog food that consists of duck and potatos....isn't that weird?? It is not cheap either, so we are definately seeking something else to do on a more permanent basis. It is nice not having to worry about him anymore- he is finally playing with Laya again and putting back on the weight that he had lost.

5 comments:

The Wiemers said...

We are so sorry to hear the news. I can't imagine what you are going through. I am sure you have been told this but everything happens for a reason. My sister had the same thing happen to her about 1 1/2 years ago. She was carring the baby and went in and there was no heartbeat. She had been carring the baby for several weeks with no heartbeat. She had the procedure done as well. On the postive side she now has a beautiful 9 month old baby girl. I will talk to her and see if she has any advice. Hang in there and if there is anything we can do please let us know. You will be in our prayers>

Unknown said...

Mandi and Jason, I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am. I have been thinking about yall contantly. I can't imagine how yall are feeling and what yall are going through. I have been praying that God would give you both strength and a sense of peace and I truly hope that yall have felt both. Take care and way to go in keeping up with the blog! I love being able to see how yall are doing.

Tammy Womack said...

Jason and Mandi -- Bless your Hearts!! As The Weimers said, everything happens for a reason, but sometimes it is hard to find reason in things like this.

If you would ever like to talk, Chris and I experienced this same unfortunate event after Miranda. And then came SYDNEY!!!

Hold your head up and keep your faith!!!!

We love you both -- Chris and Tammy Womack

Whitney said...

Hi Mandi! I'm Kimberly Wiemer's sister and I had the same thing happen 2 years ago in August. I was 11 weeks and went in for a routine songram and there was no heartbeat. Our baby had stopped growing at 7 1/2 weeks. We got pregnant the next month after my D&C and had a sweet baby girl last June. Our Dr. said we didn't have to wait to try again and you are actually more fertile in the next few cycles afterwards.

I know how devastated and heartbroken you feel. It is so sad, b/c you already bonded with that baby. I'll keep you in our prayers!

Vonnie said...

Mandi, I am very sorry for your loss. :( But I will say that you are a very strong person to be able to handle this in such a positive way with friends and family.

I wanted to talk to my obgyn before commenting on this as I have never experienced a miscarriage before. He told me that this is actually very common in young mothers, especially first time pregnancies, and that it can happen anywhere from conception to twelve weeks. He also said that even though some doctors may say differently for safety precautions, it is very safe to start trying again and becoming pregnant this soon. The only real concern is your emotional standing.

Out of the 5 pregnancies my mother had, she miscarried twice. The doctor had told her she was incapable of carrying any pregnancies to term after the 2nd miscarriage. I was born a couple of years later. ;)

Anyway, you and Jason are in my thoughts and prayers. Best wishes and good luck, love.
~Von